Rant Image

The Read

A Greyhound, a Groundhog

Submitted by clawdefine » Mon 08-Jul-2019, 05:13

Subject Area: General

3 member ratings

A Greyhound, a Groundhog opens with a swirly gray oval that, on the next page, transforms itself into “A hound. A round hound. A greyhound.” A similarly oblong hole soon reveals “A hog. A round hog. A groundhog.” The lithe greyhound and the chubby groundhog stretch—and we’re off! Emily Jenkins’ rhythmic text accompanies Chris Appelhans’ whirling illustrations as these two surprising playmates engage in a spirited romp “around and around and around and around” in a pastel-hued meadow. They pause to marvel at a new discovery, only to take up the chase once more.

Jenkins’ dedication credits Ruth Knauss’ A Very Special House for the text’s inspiration and rhythmic feel. The playful, circular repetition also may remind readers of the modern classic Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett. Appelhans’ joyful watercolor and pencil illustrations perfectly capture the motion and freedom of the chase, as near-abstract shapes convey the pair’s speed. The carefully controlled palette, in shades of gray, brown, pink and purple, reflects the similarly restrained vocabulary, perfect for young listeners and brand-new readers.

Words and pictures turn around one another, much like the two animal friends whose antics they capture so delightfully.

Granny keeps you locked in her house. Now you have to try to get out of her house, but be careful and quiet. She hears everything. If you drop something on the floor, she hears it and comes running. You can hide in wardrobes or under beds. You have 5 days.

3 Reviews 

Member Reviews

RE: A Greyhound, a Groundhog

boomessays

By Marcus Pugliese » Wed 16-Oct-2019, 04:26, My rating: ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭ ✭

This is an amazing sight and I appreciate them. The boomessays is full of knowledge about many different topics. I learned a lot from here and I like all of there articles on this site and I also suggest my little brother read those articles.

3 Reviews  • Page 1 of 3 •         1   2   3  » Next

Email to a friend

Email this Read to a friend

%0ASee:%0A http://www.chambers.com.au/forum/view_post.php?frm=2%26pstid=1795" alt="Email to a friend" />