Rant Image

The Read

A Fly Fishing Tip For the Traditional Spin Fisherman

Submitted by anonymous » Fri 06-Mar-2020, 18:07

Subject Area: General

0 member ratings

It seems as if everyone has a fly fishing tip. They want to tell you what fly is working best, what fly to fish in a certain fly fishing scenario, or what casting technique is most effective on a certain stretch of river, but how often do you hear about a fly fishing tip for traditional spin fishermen? Not very often, that's for sure. Fly fishing is seen and sold as an exclusive group of skilled anglers who are "above" traditional spin fishermen for a long time. While fly fishing techniques are very specialized and require special gear it doesn't mean that fishing with flies is impossible to spin fishermen. Traditional spin fishermen can fish with flies with the help of something called casting bubbles best baitcasting reels under 100.

About fifteen years ago I tried fishing with flies and it simply didn't feel right to me. I simply didn't like it and continued on my way as a traditional spin fisherman using ultra light gear. Knowing how effective using artificial flies can be, I always wished that there was a way to fish flies without having to use traditional fly fishing gear to "wave feathers back and forth" in the air in an attempt to catch fish. Then I discovered a way that I could fish flies without having to use fly gear, and that way is by using a casting bubble.

Sure casting bubbles don't allow you to fish with flies in every fishing scenario, but when it comes to fishing flies in lakes or in large pools in rivers using casting bubbles to fish flies can be very effective. A casting bubble looks much like a traditional bobber, but is oblong (like a football) and clear so as not to be detected by the fish. The casting bubble is threaded through your line and a swivel is attached. A leader is then attached to the opposite end of the swivel and a fly to the end of the leader. The casting bubble itself can be filled with water to add weight for casting, and gives traditional spin fishermen the ability to cast and fish many types of lightweight flies effectively.

This fly fishing tip will help anyone who uses traditional spin fishing gear to be able to fish a fly effectively. One of the keys to using casting bubbles is to have a long enough leader for the fly that you are fishing. In the case of a dry fly the leader needs to be at least twenty four inches from the fly that you are fishing. For wet flies the leader length should be adjusted for the depth of the water and/or the depth that the fish are feeding at.

Many types of flies can be used behind a casting bubble including: dry flies, wet flies, and ever small poppers. With a little experience a casting bubble can be used for river or streams as well, but easiest to learn while fishing in lakes. The bottom line is that this simple fly fishing tip will help anyone who doesn't want to go to the expense, both in time and money, of learning fly fishing to fish a fly in an effective manner.

Get a casting bubble and a few flies and add this fishing technique to your arsenal sooner, rather than later. This fly fishing tip will help any angler catch more fish.

0 Reviews 

Email to a friend

Email this Read to a friend

%0ASee:%0A http://www.chambers.com.au/forum/view_post.php?frm=2%26pstid=4777" alt="Email to a friend" />